Welcome to the Brunswick Junior Football Club
The BJFC provides opportunities for boys and girls in Brunswick and neighbouring areas to play AFL footy in a friendly and inclusive environment that values participation, development and community.
Through our association with Brunswick Auskick and the Brunswick Football Club, co-located at the historic Gillon Oval in Pearson Street, our growing junior club provides girls and boys with a pathway from Auskick through junior footy and onto senior mens' and womens' football.
The Dragons are a Brunswick community success story and have quickly established ourselves as a local institution for families in the inner north. We commenced in 2010 with one Under 10 side and in subsequent years the club has expanded to field teams across all age levels from Under 8 to Colts/U17 and Youth Girls/U18. In 2018, the Club has registered in excess of 300 players and will field 15 teams, playing in the Yarra Junior Football League.
YJFL FIXTURES FOR 2018
To find out who your Dragons team is playing, when and where, go to http://www.yarrajfl.org.au and select FOOTBALL, select FIXTURE, and find your team. Remember to select the 2018 season fixture (your browser may default to 2017)
Coaches, Team Managers & Committee Members
Your team coach and team manager are your first point of contact for all info about your team and the club. Any questions that they cannot answer, they can refer to the relevant committee member.
To see contact details for all 2018 coaches, team managers and committee members, go to the CONTACT section of the website in the banner above.
The club relies on the support of volunteers at all levels of the club throughout the season and during the off-season. Without volunteer inputs, the club simply could not operate.
Game day duties are the most common way to volunteer. Roles include boundary umpire, goal umpire, runner, trainer/first aid, ground manager, interchange steward, umpire escort, water carrier, time keeper. Helpers are also needed to run our canteen at the Gillon Oval - short shifts and a great way to meet people around the club.
Coaches, Assistant Coaches and Team Managers are critical roles and these volunteers are the heart and soul of our club. They bring it all together on game day, coordinating the kids and the volunteers, and they are the face of our club that we present to the rest of the football community.
Other ways of getting involved include volunteering on the club's committee, fund raising, sponsorship and organising and attending social events (the Ball, trivia nights, parents evenings).
We particularly invite expressions of interest for the following volunteer roles, noting these roles could be job-shared:
- Team Managers for Under 8, Under 9 Green & U12 Girls
- Sponsorships Coordinator - maintain existing partnerships and identify new club sponsors
- Communications Manager - website, E-News, social media, brochures
- Property Steward - team kits, equipment procurement, grounds and buildings trouble-shooting
- Awards & Trophies coordination -weekly medals, end of year trophies, special awards
- Annual team photos coordinator
Note that all volunteers at the club who are in regular contact with children are required under Victorian law to provide the club with details of their Working With Children Certificate (WWCC) and sign a Child Safety Code of Conduct. More details can be provided by our Child Safety Officers, John Deinenger and Sallie Ann Boyle.
Please contact Greg Banova at firstname.lastname@example.org or your team's coach and team manager to offer your assistance and contribute to running our great community club.
Dragons Season Launch on Friday 13 April
Reminder of our club’s season launch on Friday 13 April at 6pm at the Gillon Club Rooms.
Sausage sizzle, bar open, info session for new parents, playing apparel will be distributed.
U8 and U9 training at 5pm
U10 training at 6pm
Volunteers are required to help with the sausage sizzle please. Contact Kim Tully 0438260572 or Lisa Croft 0400 677 638 if you can assist.
We still have some places available in the following teams and all enquiries are welcome.
Mixed U8s, U9s, U10s, U12s, U13s and U14s
U12 girls, U15 girls
U15 boys and Colts (U16/U17 boys).
Note: To play Under 8s in 2018, your child must be at least 7 years old by 30 April 2018. More info about age cut-off dates is set out below.
To register your child, click this BJFC 2018 registration link - this will take you to the SportsTG website.
If you have registered your child previously you will have an existing user name and password on the Sporting Pulse site. If this is your first time registering your child to play AFL, you will need to create a user name and password.
- Please contact our Registrations Officer, Selena Knibbs, at email@example.com with any registration questions or requests.
For more information, click on the Registrations tab on the top of the page.
2018 TRAINING DATES
Training will be conducted at Gillon Oval (Pearson St Brunswick), Fleming Park (51 Albert St, Brunswick East) and Ransford Oval (Royal Park, Park St, Parkville)
Winter Season training commenced on 2nd April
- U8: Fridays @ Gillon Oval; 5 - 6pm
- U9 Purple, White & Green teams: Fridays @ Gillon Oval; 5 - 6pm
- U10 Purple & White teams: Fridays @ Gillon Oval; 6 - 7pm
- U11 : Tuesdays @ Gillon Oval; 5 – 6.30pm
- U12 Purple & White teams: Wednesdays @ Fleming Park; 5 - 6.30pm
- U12 Girls: Wednesdays @ Gillon Oval; 5 - 6.30pm
- U13 Boys: Wednesdays @ Fleming Park; 5 - 6.30pm
- U14 Boys: Wednesdays @ Fleming Park; 6 - 7.30pm
- U15 Boys: Tuesdays @ Ransford Oval (Royal Park); 5.30 - 7.00pm; U15s may also opt to train on Thursdays night with the Colts at Gillon Oval .
- U15 Girls: Wednesdays @ Gillon Oval; 5 - 6.30pm
- Colts: Thursdays @ Gillon Oval; 5.30 - 7pm; Tuesdays @ Gillon Oval Colts optional training; 5 - 6.30pm; Colts may also train with the senior club/U19s.
INTRODUCING THE DRAGON'S 2018 COACHES
The number of teams to be fielded in 2018 is subject to confirmation, pending final registration numbers. The numbers below are indicative at this (pre-season) stage and may change.
- U8: John Murphy
- U9 Purple: Michael Burke
- U9 White: Steve Honey
- U9 Green: Leigh Kendall
- U10 Purple: Jimmy Mastorakas; assistant - Damien Connell
- U10 White: Matthew Broadbent; assistants - Peter Sexton-Bruce & Scott Brain
- U11: Joe Sabljak; assistant - Rod McLennan
- U12 Purple: co-coaches Duncan Exton & Brendan Geary
- U12 White: Paul Robertson; assistant - Brad Bennetts
- U12 Girls: James Potter
- U13: Matthew Watson; assistant - David Jackson
- U14: Jude Allan; assistant - Steve Sinn
- U15: Dom Perrone; assistant - Mick Davis
- U15 Girls: co-coaches Cullen Gunn & Jacob Murray-White
- Colts: John Ross; assistant - Dean Dagiandas
The Dragons are excited to announce the appointment of Luke O'Connell to the newly created role of Director of Coaching. Luke has extensive coaching expertise and provide a professional level of support and development for our coaches during season 2018.
On Monday 13 November 2017, the club held its Annual General Meeting, where the minutes of the 2016 AGM were confirmed, and the 2017 annual report and financial statements were tabled and received unanimously.
The following retiring committee members were acknowledged for their significant contributions to the club over many years: Trevor Ludeman, Wendy Canobie, Kylie Moreland, Jenny Baker and Fiona Smith.
New and returning committee members were welcomed and vacant roles were filled. The committee for the 2018 season is:
Greg Banova (President), Anthony McIntosh (Vice President), Lisa Geerlings (Secretary), John Deininger (Treasurer), Sallie-Ann Boyle, Ray McKenzie, Tony Steindl (on leave), Beth Scott, Melissa Seto, Kim Tully, Lisa Croft
Since the AGM the new committee has been busy, with its key decisions including:
- Committee structure and portfolio allocations
- Strategy review and plan for development of new strategy (2018-2021)
- Communications and player recruitment
- Budget and Review of fees for 2018
- Registration process and team allocations
- Access to grounds and facilities in 2018
- Apparel orders, sales and distribution
See the Registrations section of the website for information about our registration process and fee structure for 2018 as well as news about purchasing club apparel.
INAUGURAL BJFC LIFE MEMBERS
WENDY CANOBIE &
We are thrilled to announce that Wendy Canobie and Trevor Ludeman have been awarded Brunswick Junior Football Club Life Memberships.
Trevor Ludeman, as president of the Senior Club in 2008, identified the need for a junior club, and established our first team in 2010. Trevor was the BJFC’s first president (2010 & 2011) and coach (2010–2017), managing these roles in conjunction with being president of the Senior Club (2008–2011). Trevor's contribution to the club, in time, effort and knowledge, has been phenomenal.
Wendy Canobie has been an outstanding contributor to the club, acting as treasurer as well as being an incredibly active member of the committee. The strong financial position that the club is in, no doubt, due to the expertise and efforts of Wendy over the past 8 years.