Welcome to the Brunswick Junior Football Club
The BJFC provides opportunities for boys and girls in Brunswick and neighbouring areas to play AFL footy in a friendly and inclusive environment that values participation, development and community.
Through our association with Brunswick Auskick and the Brunswick Football Club, co-located at the historic Gillon Oval in Pearson Street, our growing junior club provides girls and boys with a pathway from Auskick through junior footy and onto senior mens' and womens' football.
The Dragons are a Brunswick community success story and have quickly established ourselves as a local institution for families in the inner north. We commenced in 2010 with one Under 10 side and in subsequent years the club has expanded to field teams across all age levels from Under 8 to Colts/U17 and Youth Girls/U18. In 2018, the Club expects to register in excess of 350 players and field around 18 teams, playing in the Yarra Junior Football League.
Registrations for 2018 are now open! Returning players are warmly welcomed and there are spaces available for new players in most Dragons teams in 2018.
Go to the 'REGISTRATIONS' tab at the top of the page to complete registration requirements via the Sporting Pulse website (external link)
Note that the closing date for registrations is 28 February 2018. Earlier registration is strongly encouraged as this will assist the committee in its planning for the new season.
Our Registration Day will be held on Sunday 18 February, 9-11 am at the Gillon Oval, Pearson Street, Brunswick. New and returning families can register their child to play in person (EFTPOS facility is available)
Our Registration Officer is Selena and she can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you may have.
Depending on registrations and demand, the club intends to field the following boys, girls and mixed teams in 2018:
- Mixed U8s, U9s, U10s, U11s, U12s, U13s and U14s
- U12 girls, U15 girls, Youth girls (U18)
- U15 boys and Colts (U16/U17 boys).
For more information, click on the Registrations tab on the top of the page.
2018 TRAINING DATES
The Dragons provisional training schedule is listed below. Pre-season training kicks off for all teams in the week commencing the 19th February. Training will be conducted at Gillon Oval (Pearson St Brunswick), Clifton Park West (427 Victoria St, Brunswick; pre-season only) and Fleming Park (51 Albert St, Brunswick East).
Pre-season schedule - commencing 19th February.
- U8 Mixed: Fridays @ Clifton Park West; 2 X teams; 5 - 6pm
- U9 Mixed: Fridays @ Clifton Park West; 2 X teams; 5 - 6pm
- U10 Mixed: Fridays @ Clifton Park West; 2 x teams; 6 - 7pm
- U11 Mixed: Thursdays @ Clifton Park West; 2 X teams; 5 – 6.30pm
- U12 Mixed: Wednesdays @ Fleming Park; 2 X teams; 5 - 6.30pm
- U12 Girls: Wednesdays @ Clifton Park West; 5 - 6.30pm
- U13 Boys: Wednesdays @ Fleming Park: 5.00 - 6.30pm
- U14 Boys: Wednesdays @ Fleming Park; 6.00 - 7.30pm
- U15 Boys: Wednesdays @ Clifton Park West; 5.30 - 7.00pm
- U15 Girls: Wednesdays @ Clifton Park West; 5 - 6.30pm
- Colts: Tuesdays @ Clifton Park West; 5 - 6.30pm
- U18 Girls: Wednesdays @ Clifton Park West; either 5 - 6.30pm pm or they may choose to train with the senior women from 6.30pm.
Season proper - commencing 2nd April
- U8 Mixed: Fridays @ Gillon; 2 X teams; 5 - 6pm
- U9 Mixed: Fridays @ Gillon; 2 X teams; 5 - 6pm
- U10 Mixed: Fridays @ Gillon; 2 X teams; 6 - 7pm
- U11 Mixed: Thursdays @ Gillon; 2 X teams; 5 - 6pm
- U12 Mixed: Wednesdays @ Fleming Park; 2 X teams 5 - 6.30pm
- U12 Girls: Wednesdays @ Gillon Oval; 5 - 6.30pm
- U13 Boys: Wednesdays @ Fleming Park; 5 - 6.30pm
- U14 Boys: Wednesdays @ Fleming Park; 6 - 7.30pm
- U15 Boys: Wednesdays @ Gillon; 5.30 - 7.00pm; U15s may also opt to train on Thursdays night with the Colts at Gillon Oval .
- U15 Girls: Wednesdays @ Gillon; 5 - 6.30pm
- Colts: Thursdays @ Gillon Oval; 5.30 - 7pm; Tuesdays @ Gillon Oval Colts optional training; 5 - 6.30pm; Colts may also train with the senior club/U19s.
- U18 Girls: Wednesdays @ Gillon Oval; either 5 - 6.30pm pm or they may choose to train with the senior women from 6.30pm.
INTRODUCING THE DRAGON'S 2018 COACHES
- U8 Mixed (2 teams): Peter Lalor, John Murphy
- U9 Mixed (2 teams, possibly 3): Michael Burke; Steven Honey ; Leigh Kendall
- U10 Mixed (2 teams): Jimmy Mastorakas / Damien Connell; Matthew Broadbent
- U11 Mixed (2 teams): Joe Sabljak; Darren Coughran
- U12 Mixed (2 teams): Duncan Exton/Brendan Geary; Brad Bennetts
- U12 Girls: vacant.
- U13 Boys: Matthew Watson
- U14 Boys: Jude Allan
- U15 Boys: Dom Perrone
- U15 Girls: Cullen Gunn / Jacob Murray-White
- Colts: John Ross
- U18 Girls: Tim Purdey
The Dragons are excited to announce the appointment of Luke O'Connell to the newly created role of Director of Coaching. Luke has extensive coaching expertise and provide a professional level of support and development for our coaches during season 2018.
NEW DRAGONS COMMITTEE
On Monday 13 November 2017, the club held its Annual General Meeting, where the minutes of the 2016 AGM were confirmed, and the 2017 annual report and financial statements were tabled and received unanimously.
The following retiring committee members were acknowledged for their significant contributions to the club over many years: Trevor Ludeman, Wendy Canobie, Kylie Moreland, Jenny Baker and Fiona Smith.
New and returning committee members were welcomed and vacant roles were filled. The committee for the 2018 season is:
Greg Banova (President), Anthony McIntosh (Vice President), Lisa Geerlings (Secretary), John Deininger (Treasurer), Sallie-Ann Boyle, Ray McKenzie, Tony Steindl, Beth Scott, Melissa Seto, Kim Tully, Lisa Croft
Since the AGM the new committee has been busy, with its key decisions including:
- Committee structure and portfolio allocations
- Strategy review and plan for development of new strategy (2018-2021)
- Communications and player recruitment
- Budget and Review of fees for 2018
- Registration process and team allocations
- Access to grounds and facilities in 2018
- Apparel orders, sales and distribution
See the Registrations section of the website for information about our registration process and fee structure for 2018 as well as news about purchasing club apparel.
The club relies on a small army of volunteers to make our club run. Coaches, team managers, trainers, canteen workers, social events, fund raising ... the list is a long one. We particularly invite expressions of interest for the following volunteer roles:
- Coaches for Under 8s (two teams), Under 12 Girls and Youth Girls (Under 18)
- Team Managers for new Under 8 teams in 2018
- Sponsorships Coordinator - maintain existing partnerships and identify new club sponsors
- Communications Manager - website, E-News, social media, brochures
- Property Steward - team kits, equipment procurement, grounds and buildings trouble-shooting
- Team oranges - weekly collection and distribution of oranges for all junior teams
- Awards & Trophies coordination -weekly medals, end of year trophies, special awards
- Annual team photos coordinator
Please contact Greg Banova at email@example.com or your team's coach and team manager to offer your assistance and contribute to running our great community club. Note that a Working With Children Certificate is required by all volunteers in club roles.
INAUGURAL BJFC LIFE MEMBERS
WENDY CANOBIE &
We are thrilled to announce that Wendy Canobie and Trevor Ludeman have been awarded Brunswick Junior Football Club Life Memberships.
Trevor Ludeman, as president of the Senior Club in 2008, identified the need for a junior club, and established our first team in 2010. Trevor was the BJFC’s first president (2010 & 2011) and coach (2010–2017), managing these roles in conjunction with being president of the Senior Club (2008–2011). Trevor's contribution to the club, in time, effort and knowledge, has been phenomenal.
Wendy Canobie has been an outstanding contributor to the club, acting as treasurer as well as being an incredibly active member of the committee. The strong financial position that the club is in, no doubt, due to the expertise and efforts of Wendy over the past 8 years.