PLAYER REGISTRATIONS FOR THE 2018 AFL SEASON AT THE DRAGONS IS NOW OPEN
- Player registrations for the 2018 season opened on 1 February and closes on 28 February. New and returning players are welcome.
- To register your child, click this BJFC 2018 registration link - this will take you to the Sporting Pulse website
- If you have registered your child previously you will have an existing user name and password on the Sporting Pulse site. If this is your first time registering your child to play AFL, you will need to create a user name and password.
- Our Registration Day will be held on Sunday 18 February at the Gillon Oval, Pearson Street, Brunswick. New and returning families can register their child to play in person (EFTPOS facility is available) and submit orders for apparel.
- Depending on registrations and demand, the club intends to field the following boys, girls and mixed teams in 2018:
- Mixed U8s, U9s, U10s, U11s, U12s, U13s and U14s
- U12 girls, U15 girls, Youth girls (U18)
- U15 boys and Colts (U16/U17 boys).
- Note: To play Under 8s in 2018, your child must be at least 7 years old by 30 April 2018. More info about age cut-off dates is set out below.
- Please contact our Registrations Officer, Selena Knibbs, at firstname.lastname@example.org with any registration questions or requests.
Transfers: For players who have played with another football club
- Players who are transferring to the Dragons from another club will need a clearance before they can register with the Dragons. Transfers are arranged by the receiving club (in this case, the Dragons) and, therefore, interested players should advise our Registration Officer, email@example.com. Please include your child's full name and date of birth in the email to Selena so that the clearance can be organised without delay.
- The club will make its best endeavours to place children in teams with their friendship groups where this is requested at the time of registration but please note that this will not be possible in all cases as we seek to balance numbers across teams.
- The club’s team allocation policy is posted on the website under CLUB RESOURCES AND REFERENCES. If you would like to discuss preferences for your child's team, please contact our Registration officer in the first instance. Any concerns that cannot be resolved by the registration officer will be referred to the Dragons Committee for consideration.
When do I get to play?
- A Girls Come and Try day will be held from 10-11am on Sunday 18 February at Gillon Oval. This is especially targeted at girls who would like to pick up a footy and have a try in a friendly and supportive environment. Bring a friend and have a try at AFL footy.
- Pre-season training commences for most teams in the week of 26 February at Clifton Park West, Victoria Street, Brunswick (later for Under 8s and 9s). Dates to be advised.
- One or two practice matches will be organised for most teams in mid-late March (dates, times and venues to be advised).
- The season commences on Sunday 15 April and finishes in late August, with breaks for school holidays
- In 2018, registration fees are as follows:
- Under 8 and 9s: $300 per player (including GST) (Sibling Discount rate: $210)
- Under 10, 11, 12, and 13s: $330 per player (including GST) (Sibling Discount rate: $240)
- Under 14, Under 15, Colts and Youth Girls: $360 per player (including GST) (Sibling Discount rate: $270)
- A family discount of $90 per player applies for each sibling registered at the Dragons after the first child.
- These fees have been set to take account of the relative costs of fielding teams at different age levels, including the YJFL registration fees, equipment costs (eg leather footballs for older ages) and umpire costs. It is also a requirement of the ATO for the club to charge GST on its fees in 2018.
- Player registration fees cover a range of club running costs and support services including League registration fees, ground costs, coaching support, umpire costs, footballs and other equipment.
- Fees also provide personal injury insurance cover for players. Unregistered or non-financial players will not be permitted to train or play at the club.
- All player registrations, including payment, are processed online through Sporting Pulse. Registration fees must be paid online (by debit card or credit card) during the online registration process.
- For any questions, please contact our registration officer, Selena: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Playing apparel and equipment
- Orders for playing apparel (jumper, shorts, socks) to be submitted during February and March.
- To order apparel, please contact Kim at email@example.com.
- Note the club is also seeking to negotiate sales and distribution arrangements through a local sports store. More details to follow.
- The Mouthguard Man is a club sponsor and will be attending the club on Thursday 8 March (4.30-6.30pm) to fit out players for new guards. If you cannot attend on this date, you may prefer to visit his shopfront in Melville Road, Pascoe Vale South.
- Boots can be purchased at most sports stores. The club will also coordinate a boot swap prior to the season commencement. Families are encouraged to bring their unwanted boots to donate to the club’s boot swap. Left over boots have been donated to charities in the past.
- Dragons hoodies, t-shirts, training tops and other club merchandise will also be available to purchase throughout the season.
- The club relies on a small army of volunteers to make our club run. Coaches, team managers, trainers, canteen workers, social events, fund raising ... the list is a long one. We particularly invite expressions of interest for the following volunteer roles:
- Coaches for Under 8s and Under 12 Girls
- Team Managers for new Under 8 teams in 2018
- Sponsorships Coordinator - maintain existing partnerships and identify new club sponsors
- Communications Manager - website, E-News, social media, brochures
- Property Steward - team kits, equipment procurement, grounds and buildings trouble-shooting
- Team oranges - weekly collection and distribution of oranges for all junior teams
- Awards & Trophies coordination -weekly medals, end of year trophies, special awards
- Annual team photos coordinator
- Please contact Club President, Greg Banova at firstname.lastname@example.org or Club Secretary, Lisa Geerlings at email@example.com to offer your assistance and contribute to running our great community club. Note that a Working With Children Certificate is required by all volunteers in club roles.
APPAREL AND PLAYING EQUIPMENT
The BJFC uniform consists of a playing jumper, purple (home) shorts, white (away) shorts and purple socks.
Prices for the basic playing uniform in 2018 are yet to be finalised:
- Playing jumper: sleeveless and long sleeve (sizes 6,8,10,12,14,XS,S,M,L,XL)
- Shorts: 1 pair of white and 1 pair of purple required for each player (sizes 6,8,10,12,14,XS,S,M,L,XL)
- Purple socks (sizes based on shoe size: kids 9–2; youth 2–7; adult 7–11; big foot 11–14)
To order apparel, please send email to Kim at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note the club is also seeking to negotiate sales and distribution arrangements through a local sports store. More details to follow.
OTHER EQUIPMENT AND APPAREL
All players must wear a mouth guard. These can be purchased through The Mouthguard Man or some dentists also offer this service. Costs can vary starting from around $50. Some private health insurance providers will reimburse members for the cost of mouthguards.
Boots can be purchased at most sports stores. The club will also coordinate a boot swap prior to the season commencement. Families are encouraged to bring their unwanted boots to donate to the club’s boot swap. Left over boots have been donated to charities in the past.
Dragons hoodies, tshirts, training tops and other club merchandise will also be available to purchase throughout the season. To order a hoodie or training top please make your selection through Sporting Pulse. We will also make hoodies and other gear available for purchase on training and game days through the season.
AGE CUT-OFF DATES
To be registered to play Under 8s in 2018, players must be at least 7 years old by 30 April 2018.
Players not yet 7 years of age by 30 April 2017 are welcome to register for the Brunswick Auskick Program. To register for Auskick please visit www.aflauskick.com.au and search for the BRUNSWICK centre.
AGE GROUP FOR 2018 YJFL MIXED COMPETITIONS (ACCORDING TO YEAR OF BIRTH)
1 January to 30 April 2011 and (1 January to 31 December) 2010: U8s
- 2009: U9s
- 2008: U10s
- 2007: U11s
- 2006: U12s
- 2005: U13s
- 2004: U14s
AGE GROUP FOR 2018 YJFL BOYS COMPETITIONS (ACCORDING TO YEAR OF BIRTH)
- 2003: U15s
- 2001 & 2002: Colts
AGE GROUP FOR 2018 YJFL ALL-GIRLS COMPETITIONS (ACCORDING TO YEAR OF BIRTH)
- 2006–2008: U12s
- 2002–2005: U13-U16s
- 2000–2001: Youth (U17/U18s)